The international standard series ISO 3834ff defines welding requirements for the manufacturer and regulates the basic principles on quality assurance of fusion welded parts and structures. ISO 3834 covers welding in series production, individual manufacture, maintenance and repair as well as on the site (assembly) and is valid for all welding applications. It takes up the function of the quality management system in welding while forming the basis of fulfilling the requirements given by the standard in specific regulations of application such as EN 1090-1 and EN 15085-2.
This standard consists of 5 parts:
- DIN EN ISO 3834-1: Quality requirements for fusion welding of metallic materials – part 1: Criteria for the selection of the appropriate level of quality requirements
- DIN EN ISO 3834-2: Comprehensive quality requirements
- DIN EN ISO 3834-3: Standard quality requirements
- DIN EN ISO 3834-4: Elementary quality requirements
- DIN EN ISO 3834-5: Documents whose requirements have to be fulfilled, in order to prove the compliance with the requirements pursuant to ISO 3834-2, ISO 3834-3 or ISO 3834-4.
It is expected from you as a welding shop that for the certification pursuant to ISO 3834-2, ISO 3834-3 or ISO 3834-4 the requirements on personnel and technology for welding supervisors, welding and testing personnel as well as operational installations and equipment, process qualifications and documents for the construction, dimensioning, welding and testing are complied with.
Documents such as check lists (if necessary, management manual), welding procedure qualification records (WPQR), welding process specifications (WPS), welder’s and operator’s qualifications tests and technical installations have to be given as an evidence. Hereby, the normative references pursuant to DIN EN ISO 3834-5 have to be considered.